Fort Necessity gets Coehorn Mortar
Fort Necessity National Battlefield National Battlefield The reconstructed Fort Necessity. Country United States State Pennsylvania County Fayette Township Wharton Township Elevation 1,955 ft (595.9 m) Coordinates 39°49′00″N 79°35′59″W Area 902.8 acres (365.4 ha)  Established 1931-03-04  – Transferred to NPS 1933-08-10  Owner National Park Service Nearest city Uniontown, Pennsylvania Location of Fort Necessity National Battlefield in Pennsylvania Website: Fort Necessity National Battlefield
Fort Necessity National Battlefield is a National Battlefield Site in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, United States, which preserves the site of the Battle of Fort Necessity. The battle, which took place on July 3, 1754, was an early battle of the French and Indian War, and resulted in the surrender of British colonial forces under Colonel George Washington, to the French and Indians, under Louis Coulon de Villiers.
The site also includes the Mount Washington Tavern, once one of the inns along the National Road, and in two separate units the grave of the British General Edward Braddock, killed in 1755, and the site of the Battle of Jumonville Glen.
Steen Cannons furnished a Coehorn Mortar of 4.6 bore. Mortars are a kind of short cannon of a large bore, with chambers. Their use is to throw hollow balls filled with powder, called shells; which falling upon any building, or into the works of the fortification, burst, and their fragments destroy everything within reach.